This recipe is the result of me wanting a sweet chicken dish and wishing I could eat cheese (but I would die...) Typically people make it with chevre to which if you're Keto, you can use. Make this for anyone you want to impress because 1. it turns a boring chicken breast into something sophisticated 2. it has many layers of flavors 3. it looks beautiful on the plate especially with the lemon zest. There are chopped pistachios in the fig compote for a unexpected crunch and the acidity of lemon juice and zest nicely cuts the sweetness of the whole dish!
-4 organic chicken breast
-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
-Salt & pepper to taste
Zest of 2 lemons
-1 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked in water overnight for 8 hours and then drained)
-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
-1 cup boiling water
-Pinch of salt
-2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
-1 cup dried figs diced
-1 cup grass-fed beef broth
-1 tbsp red wine vinegar
-Salt & pepper to taste
-1/4 cup diced onions
-5 tbsp chopped pistachios
Kitchen twine to tie chicken
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. First you're going to make the fig mixture! In a sauce pan on medium high heat, heat up olive oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add the figs and press with a wooden spoon till it caramelizes with the onions (about 5 mins)
3. Add the pistachio, broth, red wine vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 15 mins until the liquid has reduced and everything is soft and mushy. Then turn off heat, transfer to a bowl and let it cool
4. Now the ricotta! Super easy- throw everything into a blender and let it whip till it has a fluffy creamy texture. Add more hot water if needed for a smoother consistency.
5. Place your chicken breast flat on a cutting board and butterfly them- basically use a sharp knife, press the breast down with one hand, and starting at the thickest part, cut horizontally and draw the knife out almost all the way through. You want to make sure one side of the chicken is still connected. A good way to imagine this is like opening up a book!
6. Once the chicken is butterflied, put the breast in between two plastic wraps and use the smooth side of a meat mallet to pound the flesh till flat and even. Season with salt and pepper
7. Almost done! Now spread the macadamia ricotta followed by the fig compote all over the chicken breast leaving 1/4 on inch border. Close the chicken and tie together with kitchen twine! Place on an oiled baking sheet with the seam facing upwards. Season the outside with salt and pepper and rosemary
8. Bake at 376F for 20 minutes. Then let it cool before cutting off the twine. Cut the breast into large chunks. Squeeze a generous amount of fresh lemon juice over each piece, garnish with lemon zest, and serve!